Monday, March 10, 2008

today...i make a promise to myself...

ok.

so...my career as a musician has been underway since...(let me see when my first gig was...)...june fifteenth of last year. so... a little under a year. i've had 37 'gigs'...a little more than one a week...which is pretty amazing to me.

and yet...i feel like i could be doing more.

i should be getting the cd in about a week and a half...the cd release is two weeks after that...and then i want to launch. i don't wanna be a musician who settles for a 9-5 to pay the bills and then hopes to get a gig once in a while. i want music to be my life.

i have quite a few ideas brewing in my mind. some of which i think could be amazing opportunities.

so, today i'm making a promise to myself. i want to squeeze every ounce of music out of my soul. whether it's performing. teaching. studying. learning. i want music to take me over. and i want to promise to myself...and you...to do this. starting tomorrow things are going to kick into high gear for me. (i hope)

i know i'll have up and down days...but i'm done sitting by and waiting for things to happen. i'm going to start MAKING them happen...



just you wait and see...



jessicalindsey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree - i love reading your words and knowing that they could just as easily have come from me.

[if we switched around some of them that is, like "music" for "writing" and "musician" for "writer" and "cd" for "book" ... you get the picture :) ]

i don't know jess... somehow we just never really had the chance to sit down and realize how much we had in common. until we sat down in our seats for graduation... next to each other.
irony, eh?

i still google apartments and lofts in minneapolis all the time. because i'd love to go back there. but ... as you know ... when you are trying to break into a career in the creative arts [music, writing] there are some lean years.
last year i was working a fantastic job at a software company, making money,but doing nothing except hanging out and putting myself through lots and lots of retail therapy... and feeling sad about not doing anything with myself. my hair was so blonde from so many visits to the salon that it was nearly white.
then i moved back east and felt good about seeing my family but terrible about my career and independence. and i dyed my hair nearly black.

and then i began this year with a vow to change.
so i'm working a new job i love, just enough hours to pay the bills and keep my parents happy. and giving myself lots of time to write and edit and create. i made plans to travel overseas, because it had been far too long since my last venture.

my hair is a chestnut brown...i just put some golden caramel highlights in. i spend less time googling apartments in minneapolis.
but i still dream about them.

i am looking forward to each day. i think there might be a move in my future, there might be a chance for me to break out in a full time writing state of being. i think i might travel more often.

and maybe, we'll see each other on some lovely fall day, in the falling leaves on some crisp, bright, uptown street...
someday. right?

Mel said...

All I have to say is...

yes.
go get it.

and I could not possibly be more proud than how I feel right now to see you go after this thing.

love you.